Popular Posts

Tuesday 27 October 2015

Grasping at Straws When Drowning




I once almost drowned when I was twelve and I have seen others drown and die. My own near death experience and the memories of bloated dead bodies showing signs of the deceased’s desperate struggles to survive have left a profound effect on me. Learning to swim ceased to be optional for myself and my children. If I have to drag them to water so they learn the skill, I will do so without remorse.

When one is drowning, the impulse to live is so immediate and strong, and in panic it is normal for one to cling onto anything that will prevent death, even at the expense of others. Would be savers often die trying to rescue those drowning, as they are frantically embraced to their watery death.

I realised also that the feeling of drowning is not only felt in water. It can extend to other experiences. One can be on land and have a similar sense of desperation, of drowning. Sadly I have also witnessed such misfortunes many times. I even painfully watched my own father grasp at straws, in a bid to save my mother’s life from an incurable illness. When this happened, against my better judgement and principles, I relented and even helped him. I understood his motives and empathized with his desperation.

At the onset, I did not believe that a cure for dementia was possible. This is well documented but I wished it not to be the case. Most of my relations probably saw my attitude as resignation and I understand them for thinking so. We humans are drawn to life and will struggle against all odds to prolong it. In the case of a loved-one with a life-limiting illness, we will do anything and pay any price, to extend their lives, or to buy a few moments with them even though we know hope is not possible. This hope and the foolishness we do as a consequence makes us romantic and human. But I sometimes wonder, if this is just an unhealthy attitude towards death and dying, a refusal to accept what is inevitable. My own pragmatism however was not due to a shortage of hope or humanity, rather on the recognition on what to invest it on. I blame my attitude on science and education, also the causes of my disagreement with my father’s choice of treatment for my mother.

I come from a deeply religious community with an unhealthy fanatical belief in the supernatural rooted in our farming past. Most of my friends and relatives have an unwavering faith in the existence of aswang (witches), higantes (giants), duwende (dwarves), tumawo (fairies); creatures that always appeared at night and, conveniently, one can’t easily see or find. I on the contrary, nurtured a healthy scepticism of the supernatural.

As I got older and travelled more, I realised that this view is not unique to my own community or country. I have seen this in Nigeria, India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Cambodia, Tanzania, in all countries where I had lived or worked. That what we don’t understand, must have a supernatural explanation, or maybe even as a result of the hand of god. It is not long ago that we believed that thunder means the gods are angry and a rainbow has a pot of gold at the end of it, or a sign from a super natural being. I rubbished such belief as I assumed we all know what a rainbow is and how it is formed. Some people still believe in this mythical pot at the end of it.

It is not with little discomfort that I took such a view. My own paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather were vanguards of this tradition as traditional healers. Much as I am western educated and live in the West, I am also Asian and subscribe to the notion of filial respect.  I still have difficulty calling my French father in law by his first name after more than a decade. Because of this, I do not openly contradict my elders’ views. I have to be patient and wait until I become an elder myself, or credible enough, to espouse my own beliefs.

My cynicism or distrust of the supernatural started early in life, at age 12.  Three formative experiences influenced this. First, I was an inquisitive child, a believer in evidence. I discounted what I couldn’t quantify and see. Education did not tame it, rather it nurtured and promoted it. It also alienated me from my roots and estranged me from the views of most of my relations, in the process marking me as an odd child. Second, my failed attempt at finding and befriending a witch, a dwarf and a giant. The thought of having one or a few of these creatures as bosom buddies, was attractive. I thought every boy should have one, and even after being told that I was the favourite child of a witch who cared for me, I was still not convinced. Had she gifted me with a miniscule of her powers, I would have had the power of non-mechanical flight. But as it did not happen, I was deeply frustrated and concluded that traditional beliefs are delusional.

Last, but most important of all, I got vexed with a “fairy”.

Once a relation got ill and a Surhano, “Shaman” was called to intercede between my relatives and the creature that was supposed to be punishing him. The Surhano, a man, was surprisingly intimately knowledgeable about my family history. His familiarity with our scandals rather than making him repulsive, strangely endeared him to us.

A chicken was killed for offering, alcohol was purchased-the cheapest kind drunk by farming folks-, and incantations were uttered day and night. These incantations were in Latin, which I later checked as grammatically incorrect. The verdict: my relative accidentally hit a supernatural creature, a fairy as such, and was being punished for the hurt.

It was not however explained how such creatures, with all of their supposed powers, can be so frail, clumsy or easily affected by a meagre stone.  But the cure however was simple, offer something valuable in return for getting better, a very transactional approach much like going to a hospital.

The Surhano probably became cocky, and over stretched himself when he told us the fairy’s family just came from Spain over night on a fairy mode of transport, like a fairy plane minus the fairy pilot, turbulence and immigration checks. Their “flight” was all done so fantastically magically. Others were amazed at this tale, I was bollocking him in my mind.

My problem with stories is that, when it is”too good to be true”, it probably is. I thought the Surhano did not fully master the fine arts of subtlety. When you tell tall tales, give as little detail as possible. Make it plausible so as to be believable, but not ridiculous to be considered a farce, especially not with a smart-ass child around.

I was a polyglot early in life as we live in an island inhabited by people from different parts of the country, many of whom are migrants or in transit. Our local dialect is infused with archaic Spanish words as a result of Spanish settlements attracted to the profits of cultivating sugarcane for sugar production.  This naturally endeared me to Katsila, our local term for Spanish.

In vanity I tried my grasp of Spanish by talking to the fairies. I assumed that since they travelled to Spain they speak Spanish. But it was not the case and the reaction was revealing.  I was brushed off, ignored and an uncomfortable silence ensued. The implication on the lack of response was lost on my relatives, but not to me. Further insistent inquiries from my part, produced no results. By then, I was so baffled and vexed that I addressed the Surhano directly inquiring as to his methods, qualifications and why do spirits have to hide behind a curtain?  I got no satisfactory answers. As I got older, further studies and exposure to these charlattans, confirmed their modus operandi and how they prey on the desperate and even gullible.

When my mother suffered from dementia, her health deteriorated fast. Within five years she transformed from a tough acerbic woman to a giggling child. The change was so drastic, so pronounced and heart breaking. It affected us all, especially my father as they eloped when they were young to be together, defying everyone in my family.

In search of a cure, my father paid dearly for western medicine to better her condition, to no avail. He then petitioned heaven hoping for a miracle, but heaven was either deaf or not listening. With no other options, he tried the occult, and consulted a Surhano who again did the usual “punished by the fairies” routine. More incantations were uttered and more alcohol was purchased. But this time, I already had almost two decades of public health experience gained from many parts of the world and, would not sit idly and tolerate such nonsense.

My father used his life savings, and frankly only he knows how much money he spent, the amount I will in most probability shoulder later, when the dust settles on his estate. I did predict a sad outcome for my mother, death within five years and prepared the family. She died within two years. It was not magic, nor did I have a line to the occult. It was based on an informed guess as evidenced by similar cases.

But with nothing much to offer him except advice and money, and out of filial respect, I bit my tongue and let him do what he did. His conviction was convincing and his dedication admirable, the likes of which you seldom see. He did it for love, for hope and did not give up. As a son I did not have the heart to defy his wishes, for how could I, when my own mother’s life was at stake?

I almost drowned at around the same time as the talking to the fairies in Spanish episode happened. I was trying to show off to friends that I could swim the width of the river submerged. I had muscle cramps and struggled in water. Quick thinking and by grabbing the roots of plants on the river bank I was able to pull myself to safety.  When you are drowning you will grasp at anything with the hope of living. Because of this I understood why my father embraced the supernatural. I know that he would have sacrificed himself to save my mother; he would have drowned to save her. He did it out of hope and while he did not drown in water I console myself that he only drowned in debt.


With that, at least I can do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment